Resale Value:
Value: Excellent
Recalls:3 Recalls

2010 Volvo V50 Review

4 Star Rating  (4 Stars) Volvo's cheapest - and most compact - wagon

Reviewed by Internet Auto Guide

| 

Overview
Despite its aging architecture, the V50 continues to combine two very attractive attributes. Firstly - being a member of the Volvo family - its creators are ever-aware of their reputation for safety. And secondly, the V50 possesses that always-practical, wagon bodystyle. As with its S40 sibling, the V50 is actually an older design (though not quite elderly) built on a foundation that dates back to 2003 (with underpinnings it originally shared with the Ford Focus and Mazda 3). However, the V50 appears to be aging very gracefully, and has enjoyed frequent refinements from its Swedish maker.

The V50 is a smallish wagon, with modestly-scaled back seats and cargo room. Nevertheless, its configuration makes it far more practical than many larger sedans - and remember, Volvo has always had a special touch when it comes to wagons.

V50's are available in two flavors, the 168-hp 2.4i, and the 227-horsepower, turbocharged T5 R-Design, both of which employ 5-cylinder engines. A 5-speed automatic is the only transmission offered with 2.4i, while the sportier T5 R-Design can be had with either a standard 6-speed manual or a 5-speed auto-stick automatic.

The Range

• Bodystyles: Wagon
  • Engines: 2.4L I-5, 2.5L turbo I-5
  • Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 5-speed automatic
  • Models: 2.4i, T5 AWD R-Design

What's New

Standard equipment for the 2.4i now includes electronic climate control; options include a navigation system and satellite radio. Standard equipment for the T5 R-Design (a trim introduced last year) now includes a standard 6-speed manual transmission. Both T5's gain two-position, adjustable headrests, and are now available with Preferred Packages that gain a power glass moonroof, keyless ignition, and a power front passenger's seat. Meanwhile, the Climate Package gains a humidity sensor and an Interior Air Quality System.

Exterior

Volvos are one of those rare brands where their wagon bodystyles often look better than their sedans. The V50 is no exception, despite its design's age. And to keep it young, last year, the T5 AWD received the attractive R-Design treatment, which included a matte silver grill surround, side skirts and front and rear spoilers.

Interior

The hallmark of Swedish design has always been a spare, geometric elegance, and the V50's cabin absolutely nails it. It's centerpiece? Obviously the dash panel's slim, waterfall 'center-stack' (and we're particularly taken by the 2.4i's optional Nordic Oak wood inlays). Indeed, the only real criticism here is a paucity of space, particularly for second row passengers.

Performance & Handling

Offering a 0-60 mph time of 8.5 seconds, the 168-hp 2.4i is a capable performer in normal traffic - but no more than that. If you're looking for a little sizzle, look to the T5 R-Design, which sprints to the same speed in an estimated 6.7 for the manual transmission, and 7.1 seconds for the automatic. Moreover, its sport suspension and all-wheel drive grip make it the better handler - particularly in inclement conditions.

Safety

Neither the NHTSA nor the IIHS offer any test data specific to the V50, but data for the similar S40 sedan should provide at least some insight (NHTSA - five stars for all but driver frontal impact (4 stars); the Insurance Institute gives it a mix or 'good' and 'average' ratings). As with the S40, the V50 includes Volvo's standard Automatic Hazard Warning System and Tire Pressure Monitoring System, while Blind Spot detection is optional.

EPA Fuel Economy

• 2.4i: automatic transmission - 20 mpg city/31 mpg highway
  • T5 AWD R-Design: manual transmission – 20 mpg city/26 mph highway, automatic transmission – 19 mpg city/27 mpg highway

You'll Like

• Extra cargo space in a modestly-sized car
  • Delightfully Scandinavian interior design
  • Easy maneuverability and parking ease
  • Thoughtful safety features
  • The T5's AWD grip and sports suspension

You Won't Like

• Modest rear-seat space
  • The V50’s age renders it less competitive compared to its competition
  • The 2.4i’s unremarkable acceleration
  • The T5 R-Design’s questionable value proposition

Sum Up