Resale Value:
Value: Excellent
Recalls:2 Recalls

2010 Volvo S40 Review

4 Star Rating  (4 Stars) Still attractive despite its age

Reviewed by Internet Auto Guide

| 

Overview
As Volvo's lowest-priced sedan, the S40 is your cheapest ticket into the brand most associated with crash safety. Of course, having a relatively affordable price tag also means you'll inevitably encounter some trade-offs, and the S40's most notice one is...size. For instance, at a length of 172.6 inches, the S40 is 2.5 inches shorter than a Toyota Corolla. And that means compact rear seat space, so think of the S40 as a sedan that's best scaled for couples needing an easy-access rear seat for short-trips.

However, despite its dimensions, the S40 enjoys styling that's sophisticated enough to give it a substantial presence on the road. An impressive fact, given that its debuted way back in 2003, though it's enjoyed almost continuous updating during the intervening years.

S40's come in three flavors. The base 2.4i, is powered by a 2.4-liter, 168 horsepower 5-cylinder engine, while the much sportier, front- and all-wheel-drive T5's are propelled by a turbocharged 2.5-liter, cranking out 227 horsepower. All are available with either a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automatic.

The Range

• Bodystyles: Sedan
  • Engines: 2.4L I-5, 2.5L turbo I-5
  • Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 5-speed automatic
  • Models: 2.4i, T5 R-Design, T5 AWD R-Design

What's New

Standard equipment for the 2.4i now includes a 5-speed manual transmission, a leather-covered gearshift with aluminum inlay, electronic climate control, adjustable front headrests; options include a navigation system and satellite radio. Standard equipment for the T5 R-Design's now includes adjustable front headrests while their Preferred Packages gain a power glass moonroof, keyless ignition, and a power front passenger's seat. Both T5's are now available with Ice White paint.

Exterior

Despite that its basic sheet metal reaches back seven years now (with mild freshenings), the S40 doesn't appear dated at all. Proof that there's nothing like a mix of good proportions and tasteful details.

Interior

One of the S40's highlights is its free-standing, ultra-thin, waterfall 'center-stack' that elegantly flows to between the front seats - very Swedish. You'll also appreciate its logical control layout.

Performance & Handling

While the S40 is a nimble car, its 168 horsepower affords it an estimated 8.4-second 0-60 time - a competent, but middling result. The T5's 227-hp makes for a much faster S40 - consider a 0-60 mph time in an estimated 6.7 seconds - but this comes with a slight dose of torque-steer under full power. The AWD T5 not only solves that, but provides improved grip in inclement conditions too.

Safety

The NHTSA gives the S40 a four-star frontal driver rating, with five stars for the front passenger, side driver and rear passenger. In addition, its Automatic Hazard Warning system activates the car's hazard lights whenever the airbags are deployed, Tire Pressure Monitoring System is standard, while Blind Spot detection is optional.

EPA Fuel Economy

• 2.4i: manual: manual transmission - 21 mpg city/29 mpg highway, automatic transmission - 20 mpg city/31mpg highway
  • T5 R-Design: automatic transmission - 21 mpg city/30 mpg highway
  • T5 AWD R-Design: manual transmission – 20 mpg city/27 mph highway, automatic transmission – 19 mpg city/28 mpg highway

You'll Like

• Classy interior design
  • Quality brand name at an affordable price
  • Nimble handling
  • Thoughtful safety features
  • Availability of all-wheel-drive

You Won't Like

• Tight rear-seat space
  • The S40’s age makes it less competitive with the competition
  • Mild torque-steer at the helm of the front-wheel-drive T5

Sum Up

4 Star Rating Still attractive despite its age